Ads 468x60px

Pages

Dec 4, 2011

Thoughts About Security ~ 1


I keep being asked about what I do for a living… I answer that I work in security.

Shock!! Horror! “Poor you, you studied in the US of A to work as a security personnel? You have to protect the company from burglars and save the day when staff members fight?”

People who know me a bit know that I studied for two years in the USA to pursuit my Master’s degree.

I start with my explanation. No offense to any physical security personnel, I actually work in computer security. You know, I protect the company’s computers, data and ensure that no harm can happen from the evil guys out there. I spend minutes after minutes trying to explain what I do.

You can imagine what type of questions I am asked… Instead of questions related to security, people start asking me about anything related to computers and technology… Can I format their PCs? Should they buy phone X or phone Y? How can I fix their wireless network at home to reach the whole house? Is this printer a good printer?

Don’t get me wrong, I love technology and I love to help people, especially when I know the answer. But this is all not security!!!

Eventually and after so many attempts at explaining what I do, their eyes lighten up and I feel that they actually are relieved. All that money spent and those two years didn’t go in vain… THANK GOD!

No one really cares about computer security until he/she has been hit by a virus, lost some data or had their account stolen. Other than that, why care?

The exact same issue applies to work. Managers out there don’t care about security. All that compliance is just an additional burden… more money to pay, more workers to employ and more systems to deploy. The only thing that gets them interested is when their own company gets hit, and when it’s hit, it is usually hit hard. Just ask SONY!!!

So people please don’t wait till your accounts are stolen, or your company is attacked… Do something about it, and do it now…

1 comments:

  1. Do something like what? Help us out here, security guy.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

On Top List

Online Marketing
Add blog to our blog directory

gob